In compliance with Proviso 1A.17, the South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) will fund the administration of PSAT to districts for students in grade 10 will be given the opportunity to take a test predicting readiness for college/career and advanced coursework. This test is offered free of charge to all 10th graders enrolled in public schools.
Our school will offer the PSAT/NMSQT® TBD. This assessment is more than a test; it focuses on the knowledge and skills evidence shows matter most for college and career readiness. Even if your child has not yet decided to attend college, I urge you to make sure he or she participates, as it will open the door to many opportunities. By taking the PSAT/NMSQT®, your child will access focused practice which prepares him/her for the future.
Benefits include the following:
- customized skill based practice to increase readiness through Kahn Academy carefully crafted to improve and polish necessary academic skills;
- a personalized list of careers and potential college majors and the ability to learn about them;
- access to the College Board’s interactive college and career planning website;
- an online score report, including projected SAT® score ranges, state percentiles, and the ability to sort answer explanations by difficulty and question type;
- the opportunity to see which Advanced Placement classes the student has potential to do well; and
- a dedicated SAT® study plan created by the test’s authors, including a review of results, practice questions, essays scored, and the chance to take four complete SAT®’s.
Through the PSAT/NMSQT®‘s student search feature, colleges and funding entities can offer your child opportunities of which he/she might be unaware. New College Board partners have pledged over $180 million dollars of scholarships available only through taking the PSAT\NMSQT®. Additionally as a junior the PSAT is the entry point for the prestigious National Merit Qualifying Scholarships, your child’s participation as a sophomore will provide necessary practice to improve his/her performance when it counts. This is just one way the College Board is making your child’s path to excellence easier.
Your student’s Score Report for the PSAT/NMSQT® will arrive at school early this winter for distribution. Students will also be able to access their scores online through their College Board student account.
PSAT/NMSQT® emphasizes the skills that enhance careers, including problem solving in science, social science, and other real-world context. Additional information such as sample questions and study guides can be found online. Parents may sign up for a dedicated newsletter at http://www.collegeboard.com/parents/.